Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Thoughts on being 84


On his eighty-fourth birthday a man should have profound comments to make, wise words of information and inspiration to pass along. I don't.
I did not make it this far through any effort on my part. I have never done any of the things that supposedly insure longevity. Just the opposite, actually. I have always had a pipe or cigarette in my mouth throughout the day. I have heard "last call" in bars from New York to Los Angeles and in more than a few across the sea. I have taken chances when there was no need to do so. Unless it has led me to somewhere I wanted to go, exercise has been conscientiously avoided. Doctors orders have been used as a guide to doing the opposite. I often wrote of having no fear of dying too soon but a real fear of living too long. Yet here I am.
Were someone to ask me for advice - no one has - I would say do the things you enjoy, avoid those that you don't, never work at a job you don't love, pursue any goal with no holds barred, and never take life or yourself too seriously.
I'm one of the few who remember the Wall Street Crash of 1929. When people were talking about it I thought they meant an automobile accident. That may be as good a description of it as any given by economists and other wise men. I had the real advantage of growing up and maturing during the Great Depression. Believe me, it was an advantage. I have taken part in some of history's great battles, experienced the fun and excitement of being a private eye and a cab driver, worked as a newspaper reporter during the prime years of the business when it was very much like you'll read in The Front Page and other stories of the old days.
I haven't done it all but I've come close. The world being what it is today, I wouldn't want to be a day younger than I am. It has been a great ride, an exciting, adventurous journey and that is good enough for me.
Thank you for your kind attention and don't do anything I wouldn't do. That leaves you with a wide-open field ahead.


http://www.dickstodghill.com/

9 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Davis, KE9V said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DICK!

From an old goat in Muncie, Indiana...

Wishing you a few more!

Jeff Davis

12:58 PM  
Blogger Dick Stodghill said...

Thank you, Jeff

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Peter from Germany said...

Happy Birthday to you, Dick.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Robert Lopresti said...

congratulations, Dick! here's to many more

7:48 PM  
Blogger Dick Stodghill said...

Thanks, Peter and Rob

7:07 AM  
Blogger morgancraft said...

The Happiest of Birthdays! Your blog and writing are a breath of fresh air in a world that seems to equate Kate Gosselin with news, and the latest celebrity commentary with Truth. Happy Birthday!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Dick Stodghill said...

Thanks. Haven't seen you for a while but your blog looks good.

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Chet Headley said...

Dick, 17 Aug 09

Happy Birthday Dick, I hope you have a hundred more. I’m not too far behind you, had one less than two weeks back.

Chet

1:17 AM  
Blogger Dick Stodghill said...

Thanks, Chet.

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Blog Directory

<< Home