Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Give 'em what they dish out



I've really been down on people lately. I may have to either give up reading the news or start a campaign to make the Gilbert & Sullivan tune Let the Punishment Fit the Crime become federal law.
Earlier in the week we got to read again about the loving father in California who a number of years ago avoided paying child support by hurling his 4-year-old daughter off a cliff into the Pacific. Don't send the guy to prison, that same cliff is still available.
Today there's the story of a woman in her seventies in a Cleveland suburb using a shovel to beat a baby deer to death. The doe, who hadn't been taught in deer school that humans always come first, had the audacity to stroll into the crone's garden. She claimed she was frightened by it. Yeah, sure. After her upcoming trial that same shovel could be put to good use.
(The photo above was taken by a lady willing to share with a pair of does and their mother that pay a daily visit to her yard in West Virginia.)
In a local court a man was handed a two-year prison sentence for possession of cocaine. He wasn't selling it, he wasn't a pusher, he just possessed a small amount. Now had he been a nice young man from an upstanding middle class white family he would have been placed on probation and sent to a rehab facility. But he made the mistake of being black. Now he has two years of studying the art of being a real criminal ahead of him at taxpayers' expense. Another great victory in the war on drugs.
But does the punishment fit the crime? Was this even a crime, or is it an example of why we have more people locked up than any other country? Maybe we need to rethink our entire approach to drugs. The present one doesn't seem to be working all that great.
Then there's the woman who locked up a boy of three in a stifling hot, vermin infested attic or the teenager who microwaved a kitten. The attic would make a fine place for the woman but it would take a big microwave for the kid. I imagine there is one somewhere.












2 Comments:

Anonymous Chet Headley said...

Dick, 06 Aug 09

Glad that bag of s--t doesn't live near me, I know where I’d stick her shovel.

A cottontail has been living in my back yard for the past three years. It comes to me when I call it. Of course I do provide it with food that it can’t buy at the local PX, things like fresh fruit from Chile and Mexico during the winter months. During the summer it gets fresh US grown fruit, at least I think it’s grown here.

About 15 or so years ago I visited a person (no longer call him a friend) I had worked with several years prior. When I arrived he was busy shooting Mocking birds (State bird of Texas) because they had the audacity to eat some of his precious strawberries rather than them going to the PX and buying their own. Needless to say I haven’t seen him since.

The human race sux and I include myself in that mess.

I haven’t forgotten; I still owe you an Email.

Chet Headley

9:38 AM  
Blogger Dick Stodghill said...

I'm afraid you're right about the human race, Chet.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Blog Directory

<< Home