Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Wednesday, July 15, 2009


The frightening thing about my new driver's license picture is that Jackie claims I look better than I did on the past two. The lady at the Ohio BMV told me to smile so I did but even that didn't make it a whole lot better. Granted, these kind of photos are on par with police mug shots. Nobody ever says, "Let me show you the picture on my driver's license."
On the old one I had a ghastly pallor. Now I look like I've been dunked in boiling water. If I saw someone who looked like this coming toward me in a dark alley I'd hightail it in the other direction. It does explain why little kids stare in shocked disbelief when I enter a room. On his worst days, Jack the Ripper looked better than this.
The annoying thing is that when I went out to the car and showed it to Jackie she said, "Oh, you look much better." Than what? I wondered.
My new license is good for four more years. It does not come with a guarantee that I'm good for four more years. I said, "This is my last driver's license."
Jackie said, "You don't know that."
True, I don't. Nor do I know for sure that the sun will set in the west this evening but I'd say both things are a pretty safe bet.
So here it is, one o'clock, and I haven't got a lick of work done today. After taking a look at my new photo I decided not to start any major projects and I'm going to wrap up the stuff I've been working on as quickly as possible. It's hard to believe anyone could disagree with that way of thinking. On the other hand, I've outlived three sell-by dates so I guess you never know.
If I am back at the BMV in 2013 it will be interesting to see what my new photo looks like. By then they may have a new camera. Recession or not, they're due for one. Or maybe it's just me.

2 Comments:

Blogger STAG said...

Crikey, thats a baaaaad picture.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Dick Stodghill said...

Aw, shucks. I thought you'd like it.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Blog Directory

<< Home