Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Doctor's Orders


This was the morning for my once a month shot of energy and vitality juice so the doc and I had our usual exchange of ideas. He said, "Yesterday was nice and sunny so did you do some walking?"
I thought about it and told him, "Yeah, I walked out to the kitchen a couple of times to freshen up my cuppa tea."
He shook his head, something he does quite often, and mumbled a sentence or two about the benefits of fresh air and sunshine. I wasn't exactly sure what he was trying to say so I said, "If it comes down to walking or writing, I'd rather write."
The subject then turned to a prescription one of the nine docs who work for him gave me last month for vitamin D pills. It cost eight bucks at the pharmacy upstairs which seemed OK until we got home and found there was one pill in the bottle. I said, "Staying alive isn't important enough for me to lay down eight simoleons a month for one lousy pill."
He shook his head and said, "If you'd get out and walk in the sunshine you wouldn't need the vitamin D pill."
I said, "No, if I got out and walked in the sunshine I'd have to come back and have you cut out some more skin cancers. You're determined to get me out there one way or another, aren't you?"
He shook his head again and said, "You never listen to anything I tell you anyway."
We agreed on that particular point so we switched over to talking about Marlon Brando motorcycle movies. All this time Jackie was sitting over in a corner shaking her head. I guess there's something about that particular office that affects people that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory

<< Home