Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Tale of Two Viruses


Being the easy-going, even-tempered guy that I am I took it like a man and didn't swear much at all after being struck down by a virus. That changed completely when my computer was struck down by a virus. I can live with being sick but turn into an angry bear when my computer has to go the shop. Like that simpering wimp on TV commercials says, "It's your lifeline." The computer is my lifeline. Without it I can't write scintillating short stories or wisdom-filled blogs.
It turned out I didn't have a virus, just my semi-annual kidney infection that returns on schedule as precisely as the buzzards return to Hinckley the first day of every April. The computer, however, had not only a virus but 234 things that needed fixing. So it's fixed, and I'm $109 poorer than I was at this time yesterday.
Being computerless for a few days gave me time to ponder the strange nature of Americans. They want everything and they want it now. They want every pothole in town fixed up and they want super highways when they travel. If they go by plane they want skilled air-traffic controllers guiding them safely through the sky. They want the FDA to keep their food supply in perfect shape and the EMS to rush to their aid if they get sick or hurt. They want firefighters standing by if they set their house afire and cops to charge after the bad guys who rob them. They want schools that are at least on par with those in Zimbabwe and a military force to fight multiple wars in countries no one can find on a map. All that is just the tip of the iceberg of their many wants.
But there is one thing they do not want. They don't want to pay for any of this.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Chet Headley said...

Dick, 24 Aug 09

Why should anyone want to pay for those things, are they not free?

Chet

1:47 AM  
Blogger Dick Stodghill said...

That seems to be the way of thinking today, Chet.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Blog Directory

<< Home