Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Thursday, August 27, 2009

How do you find yourself?


A couple of people went on a two-year quest to find themselves and one of the pair wrote a book about it. This, I think, proves that anyone can write a book about anything and sometimes it seems that just about everyone is doing it. Computers, the Internet and free publishers have a lot to answer for.
I'm not really sure what finding yourself means. I visualize this as a mind drifting around in space because it's body has been misplaced somewhere and can't be found again. Otherwise couldn't a person just look downward and say, "Oh, here I am"?
After giving it more thought I realized the United States government once sent me on a two-year quest. Not realizing I was lost, although at times it seemed all was lost, I failed to find myself.
To be honest about it, I did lose myself a couple of times during my quest and it seemed to me the best place to do it was England. There you could always find someone willing to help. Without fail they ended by saying, "You simply cawn't miss it, mate." You then proved them wrong by missing it.
France was a good place to lose yourself and Belgium was even better. In either place an attractive young woman would come up and ask if she could be of service. At least I assumed that was what they were asking but there is such a thing as a language barrier you know.
None of this probably matters in the overall scheme of things. However, since hearing about the book on finding yourself I have made a point of looking in a mirror the first thing every morning. It's reassuring to find you are still there, but damn depressing to see the changes wrought by Old Man Time.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Chet Headley said...

Dick, 27 Aug 09

I think if one has to go on a quest to “find themselves” they are probably living a life lacking in substance.

As for looking in the mirror every morning I try to avoid that exercise, barely recognize whom I see. Which brings up a money saving tip: You can stretch the life of your razor blades and shaving cream three fold just by skipping two days between shaves. Also saves having to look in the mirror every morning.

Do remember all the attractive, and helpful, young women during my time in Europe. I doubt there would be as many willing to help if I were there today.

Chet

3:36 PM  
Blogger Dick Stodghill said...

I know what you mean.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Carol said...

I don't think I am "looking for myself" anymore, but I am damn curious about who I am versus who I thought I wanted to be. One thing I appreciate about age is the realization that I didn't turn out to be that person!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Dick Stodghill said...

It comes as a surprise, doesn't it?

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Chet Headley said...

Dick, 30 Aug 09

Don’t think I’ve ever felt it necessary to find myself. Like you said Dick, just look down, you’ll be there. Maybe what we see isn’t what we’d prefer but we’re stuck with it. Now, what we are, that’s a different story.

In my youthful days I didn’t know what I wanted to do/be when I grew up. Still don’t, and still haven’t grown up completely; it’s my way of maintaining perpetual youth (at least in my mind). There are endeavors I’d still like to embark upon but time and physical agility have diminished those prospects. Maybe in my next life if what it is I want to do is relevant.

I should return to Europe to see if the attractive women that offered their “help” are still available, and still attractive. Just saved myself money and time, I snuck a peek in the mirror.

Chet

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Blog Directory

<< Home