Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Paying Sincere Compliments


I'm feeling pretty good today because Jackie paid me what people who run self-improvement seminars call a sincere compliment. She said I may not be the worst person in the world because she hasn't met everyone in the world.
She also said something about me being living proof that men are descended from apes, but that's neither here nor there. This was because I scratch too much, or so she claims. I told her I only scratch when something itches. "Well go somewhere else to do it," she said.
That's hardly a satisfactory solution to keeping her happy. Jumping up and going to another room every few minutes when hit by an unexpected itch would definitely detract from the quality of my life, such as it is.
Speaking of self-improvement seminars, I once was offered an opportunity to attend one for free. It met once a week for several months, during which time I leaned all about offering sincere compliments and stuff like that. Those in the class also learned how to remember things by associating them with a series of actions. For example, you make a mental list of objects like a table, a chair, a revolving door and so on. Then when something must be remembered you associate it with a table, a chair or a revolving door. If you are supposed to bring home a loaf of bread you picture it whirling through a revolving door, that sort of thing.
We also were taught to remember names through association. While I have forgotten the exact routine, I do recall a joke about someone who attended a similar seminar. He was taught to remember people's names by making a little rhyme. After being introduced to a fat lady named Lummick he memorized, "Mrs. Lummick with the big stomach."
The next time he met her he said, "Hello, Mrs. Kelly."
So much for self-improvement seminars, memory lessons and sincere compliments.


http://www.dickstodghill.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory

<< Home