Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

It's been a while


I've been working, not loafing, but whatever the excuse it has been a week since my last venture into the wonderful world of blogging. That blog seven days ago brought a comment from Stag, who had died some time prior to writing it. If you want to get technical about it he may not really have been dead but after being stung by a bee he was lying there with his heart as quiet as a mouse until the medics arrived.
It made sense that he had faded away like old soldiers are supposed to do because he had been told that a tech sergeant would do just that a year after retiring. He's back among us, though, and quite naturally his story reminded me of something. When you get to be my age everything reminds you of something.
It was just after World War II ended in Europe when a bunch of us were herded into a room where a solemn-faced doctor awaited. He told us everyone who had been in infantry combat for any length of time could deduct 15 years from their life expectancy of 72. Aside from the doc, all of us in the room had been in infantry combat for some length of time. Stress, strain, living under adverse conditions and existing on K-rations were responsible, he said.
I wondered who had come to this ridiculous conclusion, of course, but didn't laugh aloud. Well, just a little, maybe. Anyway, being 19 at the time, 57 seemed a long way off.
I don't believe I ever gave that nonsense another thought until one day when I was 57 and hard at work in the newsroom the wire editor dropped a tearsheet on my desk and said, "This might interest you. I'm not running it."
I doubt if any newspaper in the country ran it because it was a boring story saying the figure had been reduced from 15 years to eight. That meant instead of dropping dead on the spot I was safe until I hit 64.
Time passed until one day it dawned on me that I was a few years past 64. Then a little more time went by and my only view of 72 was in the rearview mirror. Now I'm 10 years past my final sell-by date and I'm still going strong. Well, I'm still going but maybe not too strong.
So what does all this prove? Not a damn thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory

<< Home