Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Does Being Cold in the Summer Make Sense?

The older I get the more puzzling some things become. Things like why I have to wear a sweater around home in the summer but not in the winter. Or why I have to wear the same jacket while eating in a restaurant during the summer that I do in the winter. In thinking about it, though, I realize it isn't puzzling at all. The same people that set the thermostat at 75 during the winter drop it down to 60 in the summer. But why? Air-conditioning is fine when it's used properly but too many people think the idea is to keep a room frigid in warm weather. There's nothing wrong with being hot sometimes and cold sometimes but they really should be experienced during the proper season.

Another thing I can't understand is why some people - most of them women - think there is something shameful about looking their age. There is an especially annoying commercial running on TV lately in which a woman with maddening mannerisms and a shark-like smile asks how old you think she is, then gives a few clues and ends up saying, "I'll never tell." My guess would be 57. Those who believe they can fool other people into thinking they're younger than the case may be are merely kidding themselves. But why would they want to appear younger? That's what I can't comprehend. Something else that irritates me is hearing someone say, "I'm 60 years young." A different woman does that in another commercial. I feel sorry for people like those two pathetic delusionists.

Then there are those automobile commercials that emphasize speed. Cadillac is the worst but a few others are guilty as well. Is that the best they can say about their cars? Apparently they are trying to appeal to young fools that have no regard for safety and fuel economy. And older fools that don't want to act their age. That provides them with a large audience, of course.

Visit me at: www.dickstodghill.com