Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Friday, June 09, 2006

Down for Maintenance - Blogger, Not Me

Is it my imagination or is my mug shot bigger today? Beats me. It's been more than a week since I last wrote a blog but it's not completely my fault. I was too busy for a while, that's true. The difference between writing a blog and a daily newspaper column is that with a blog you don't have an editor breathing down your neck. You don't call in from the hospital and report that you just had your gall bladder removed and have the managing editor say, "Have you got tomorrow's column ready?"
So anyway, I tried to write one of these things Wednesday but Blogger was down for maintenance. I didn't mind because it was late in the day and I was tired. I tried again Thursday and had just completed more deathless prose when that message came up again: Blogger down for maintenance. I just wish they wouldn't do it on my time.
It reminds me of the days when computers were first used by newspapers. At that time Mike Lopresti, now a sports columnist for Gannett, was writing sports for the Palladium-Item in Richmond, Indiana. After covering a Richmond-Rushville basketball game he went back to the Pal-Item office and wrote the story on one of the new-fangled computers. Just as he finished typing the last sentence it all disappeared somewhere in cyberspace. So he wrote it again. Just as he finished typing the last sentence it disappeared somewhere in cyberspace.
At that point he had several options. The one that leaps to mind is finding a sledgehammer and sending that computer to a well-deserved grave. Mike, being a bit more logical in his thinking, wrote the story a third time and wonder of wonders, this time it worked without a hitch. When it was all over and Mike still had a shred of sanity remaining he wished he could see all three stories. "I'd like to see which one was the best," he said. He might have said a few other things as well, of course. I know I sure would have.
And yes, for some reason my mug shot is bigger. Despite what some people might say, that has nothing to do with the size of my head.

Visit me at www.dickstodghill.com