Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Phrases I'm Sick of Hearing


Shortly before setting my lap on fire this morning I was thinking about things people say that start me grinding my teeth and wishing I could wrap my hands around the speaker's throat and begin squeezing.
One that has been around for years is "at this point in time." What's wrong with "at this point" or "at this time" rather than saying the exact same thing twice in a mere five words? This is a favorite with many people and particularly chiefs of police hoping to appear wise while holding a press conference to admit they haven't a clue as to who committed some heinous crime.
Then there is "The American Dream." How exactly does the American dream differ from the Belgian dream or the Irish dream or the German dream? The only hint provided is that it has something to do with having a roof over your head. I believe that dream is universal.
Another really irritating phrase uttered by many people has to do with "thinking outside the box." Are we to assume that on the rare occasions when people actually decide to think about something they do so by crawling inside a box? Apparently being in this box to do your thinking means all your thoughts are conventional, boring and uninspiring.
One that should result in the summary execution of the speaker is "Déjà vu all over again." It was funny when Yogi Berra said it years ago because it was typical of Yogi. In the thousands of times it has been repeated by idiots trying to be funny...well, off with their heads.
There are words, too, that really set the nerves on edge. Many can be traced to the despicable trend toward text messaging. Chief among them is "Congrats." It comes across as saying, "Whatever it was that you did isn't worth taking the time to write 'congratulations' so 'congrats.'"
There were others that had come to mind before half a dozen hot embers decided to leap out of my pipe at the same instant and start a blaze on the towel I place on my lap to keep this sort of event from burning holes in my pants. Perhaps blaze is too strong a word, but dousing the embers drove the other words and phrases from my mind at that point in time.


http://www.dickstodghill.com/


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tuesday 30 Dec 08

Dick,

Enjoying your posts. I'm thinking you were a bit devious with this one and it appears that no one noticed. Here's what I'm referring to "at that point in time:"

------------
Phrases I'm Sick of Hearing

... One that has been around for years is "at this point in time." What's wrong with "at this point" or "at this time" rather than saying the exact same...

... Perhaps blaze is too strong a word, but dousing the embers drove the other words and phrases from my mind at that point in time.
--------------

Your humor is a hoot.

I see we went to Falls High at different times together.

Chet CFHS 1958

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Blog Directory

<< Home