Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Monday, August 04, 2008

ANEMIA - Avoid it like the Plague


This is not a complaint because for a guy about to celebrate (?) his 83rd birthday I am doing quite well. It's a rare day when I don't work six or eight hours and that includes weekends.
But that's sitting at a computer writing or doing the things that go along with it. I'll be feeling great when I decide to get up and do something else. Anything at all, you name it - a 25-mile hike with full-field pack, carry the ball a few times for the Cleveland Browns, take over at shortstop for the Chicago Cubs.
Ah, yes. Then after twenty steps down the hall I'm reaching out for support. Can I make it to the recliner in the living room? Maybe, but it won't be easy.
My step may be sprightly as I set out to empty the trash in the chute fifteen yards down the outer hallway. On the way back I'm clutching at the wall to help me stay on my feet and wondering how our door moved so far away in such short a time.
It's called anemia. The slightest effort enables it to drain the energy from your body and leave you with all the strength of a limp dish rag.
I guess there are numerous ways to become anemic but I've never paid much attention to medical stuff. In my case I think it's from a benign tumor on the pituitary gland that has knocked every hormone there is down to base level. I take pills and get a monthly shot to build me up and the anemia just laughs at both.
So my advice is this: don't get it. Just downright refuse to allow it anywhere near you. If you find out how to do that, please let me know.
It's almost lunch time, I've been up about five hours, have gotten quite a bit accomplished and am feeling great. So tennis, anyone?
Maybe I'd better think about that a little more. If I can make it down the hall when Jackie says the food is on the table, I'll give it further consideration. In a pig's eye.

http://www.dickstodghill.com/

1 Comments:

Blogger STAG said...

A friend of mine has the opposite problem...an excess of red blood cells. The blood thickens up so much that nothing gets through...

What a marvelous machine the body is!

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Blog Directory

<< Home