Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Women - The Fairer Sex?


After returning from using my rollator to take a few laps up and down the outer hallway I gave Jackie a short quiz. "Choose from the following three: do you think I am handsome, very handsome, or extremely handsome?"
She clutched her heart and sighed. "Oh, extremely handsome, of course."
Instead of stopping there she added, "I've never been able to stand handsome men. They're arrogant, self-centered, uninformed and stupid."
Now I'm in a quandary. What am I to make of this?
*****
Women - who can understand them? Back in 1922, Ring Lardner was asked by the editor of The American Magazine to write a story about wives. This was because a woman had written a scurrilous attack on husbands. It was titled Say It with Bricks. Lardner, being a wise man, knew this was a hopeless task. He wrote: ". . . a man defending husbands vs. wives, or men vs. women, has got about as much chance as a traffic policeman trying to stop a mad dog by blowing 2 whistles."
He pointed out that down through the years only two writers, Francis Bacon and Rudyard Kipling, had the nerve to come right out and say that it isn't true that behind every successful man is a woman. Bacon said, "he that hath wife and children hath given hostages to fortune, for they are impediments to great enterprises, either of virtue or mischief."
Kipling was more blunt. Among other things about the fairer sex he wrote, "A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke."
Then there was this ending to The Ladies: "So be warned by my lot (which I know you will not), an learn about women from me!"
But Rudyard was just getting warmed up. In The Vampire he wrote this:
A fool there was and he made his prayer (Even as you and I!)
To a rag and a bone and a hank of hair
(We called her the woman who did not care),
But the fool he called her his lady fair (Even as you and I!)

I could be wrong, but I'll bet Mrs. Kipling didn't feel that was hubby's best piece of work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory

<< Home