Stodghill Says So

An opinionated posting on a variety of subjects by a former newspaper reporter and columnist whose daily column was named best in Indiana by UPI. The Blog title is that used in his high school sports predictions for the Muncie Evening Press.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

At the age of 18 I was a 4th Infantry Division rifleman in the invasion of Normandy, then later was called back for the Korean War. Put in a couple of years as a Pinkerton detective. Much of my life was spent as a newspaper reporter, sports writer and daily columnist. Published three books on high school sports in Ohio and Indiana. I write mystery fiction for Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and others. Three books, Normandy 1944 - A Young Rifleman's War, The Hoosier Hot Shots, and From Devout Catholic to Communist Agitator are now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. So are four collections of short mysteries: Jack Eddy Stories Volumes 1 and 2, Midland Murders, and The Rough Old Stuff From Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine.

Powered By Blogger TM

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The State of the Union Address - Not My Cup of Tea!

Like millions of Americans I did not watch the State of the Union address last night. Not just because I don't believe a word the man says, although that would be reason enough. Not just because it would be a rehash of things said many times before, although that too would be reason enough. Not just because I sense that Dick Cheney's ugly mug would be peering over the Idiot in Chief's shoulder the entire time, but could there possibly be a better reason? Not just because that smirk is enough to make a man . . . well, you get the idea.
In fairness to someone who probably has never heard the word and certainly doesn't know its definition, I never watch a State of the Union Address. There is so much about them that is boring, that reeks of hypocrisy, that cause you to wonder if you have died and that this is the hell you will forever have to endure, that makes you think spending an entire day in a Wal-Mart and eating three meals at a McDonald's would be preferable - but wait, that is my idea of hell.
Those mandatory standing ovations after every couple of sentences are enough to gag a maggot. Half the people in the room hate the speaker's guts but still they would rise up and clap their hands on cue even if he announced the world was coming to an end in five minutes.
So you might just say I don't care for State of the Union addresses. You would be right. I would rather be forced to sit through an entire NASCAR race. I would rather have to play one of those moronic video games they advertise. I would rather drink a pitcher of warm British beer. I would rather have the bird of paradise fly up my nose. I would rather . . . well, it's time go take a nap.

www.dickstodghill.com

Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked your explaination for not viewing the address better than watching it. I could not agree more about the hipocracy of the event and the integrity of the men and women attending the circus. There are more concerns for devouring the power in 08 than the health of this very own country. Enough said before this become hate driven. Government equals the quest for power in this USA ( giganic cash cow)

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked all over for email address for you, but seeing none, I'll just post this information here.

Your giving out incorrect information on the PublishAmerica message boards, information that is extremely damaging. I am going to assume you are simply mistaken and not doing this intentionally.

First of all, all traditional publishers promote all their authors, big and small. Just because you dont see them on endcaps or tables on the front of the store doesn't mean they don't do it. Authors are promoted in catalogs publishers send out to every chain, through their sales people and sending out Advanced Review Copies to magazines and newspaper reviewers before the book even hits the press. Publishers want to make money and they want their authors to make money. They want their authors known so when they publish a second book, a buyer will know the author and buy it. The first thing a publishes DOESN"T ask is how you are going to promote your book because that's their job. They usually ask, "When you can you send us another book to look at?"

Traditional publishers put the burden of promoting and marketing your book on their marketing department. PA doesn't. Its clause 17 in your contract that you have to do this all yourself.

How do I know this? I am a published author and my aunt is an editor with Hyperion/Disney books.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Dick Stodghill said...

Bad advice? I suggest you read recent issues of Mystery Writers of America's "Third Degree" or talk to some of its many members I have come to know after being published for more than half a century. I have never made a secret of my e-mail address: dstodghill6071@juno.com
If you care to carry on this dialogue contact me there, but sign your name because anonymous doesn't merit attention or respect.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Blog Directory

<< Home